November 25, 2010

I Saw a Murder and Then Was Stalked

I remember one morning on my radio program, telling the listeners that a few days earlier I had witnessed a murder and was subsequently stalked.

While that was in fact 100% correct, I eventually provided accurate details about the incidences.

First, I witnessed a murder of crows - that's the correct phrase for a group of crows.

The next day I was visiting the hospital where parking is very limited. After my appointment, I began walking towards my car in the parking lot, and realised that I was being followed, very slowly, by a car. The driver was waiting to see where I was going so they could have my car-space.

Isn't it interesting how our wording can have different meanings? This can be a great assistance when dealing with children who sometimes don't need to know the full truth. For example, on occasion I have simply responded to a question with a question such as:

JD: "Are you getting me a Playstation for Christmas?"

Me: "That would be great wouldn't it?"

JD: "Well am I?"

Me: "How would you feel about a packet of playdough instead?"

JD: "Urk! Boring!"

Now, I may well have purchased the Playstation (which I haven't by the way JD if you're reading this), but I'm not going to help the child determine by elmination or otherwise, what I may or may not have purchased them for Christmas.

Truth can be subjective. I've seen those quizzes which ask how truthful you are, and I say positively that I try to speak the truth at all times. It's true that sometimes mis-remembering leads to an untruth by accident, and also that there have been times when I have told only part of the truth to save someone's feelings.

This is especially helpful when friends ask if we like a new outfit on them. If they've put out money on this new outfit, the last thing they want to hear is that it was a waste of money and their taste leaves someting to be desired, so I will find something positive about the outfit, for example the cut or colouring and comment on that.

Many men have learned this trick, but within a relationship, the woman can often get wise to this and then take it a step further by asking her partner bluntly, "Do you think this looks good on me."

Honestly ladies, if you have to ask your partner a second time, then perhaps you don't need to hear the answer. Just be satisfied that they're making the effort to please you, or for that matter have in fact noticed the outfit at all.

If your partner gives you a detailed answer such as: "I love the way they've cut the skirt on the bias to give it a full swing. Plus the colour scheme is gorgeous on you."

You should be more concerned about your partner than about your dress... especially if he comments on your shoes... or if he's wearing your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment