November 29, 2010

Ugliest Animal Competition

Since I had such fun recently trying to find some of the ugliest birds in the world, I thought I would try and find some of the world's ugliest animals.

When I went searching, I was astounded by what some people consider ugly. Several said llamas were ugly and another said koalas were ugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would love to hear which one you think is the ugliest - or perhaps you know an even uglier one.
Aye-aye
(Daubentonia madagascariensis)
This is a lemur
Phillipine Tarsier
(Tarsius syrichta)
This is a primate though it
looks like the elf from the 
Harry Potter movies

Alligator Snapping Turtle
(Macrochelys temminckii)
This is a freshwater turtle in North America
Mole
Photo by: Michael David Hill

Various Bat faces
Iguana
(Iguana delicatissima)
Photo by: Hans Hillewaert
Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth

(Bradypus variegatus)
Eastern Tiger Salamander
(Ambystoma tigrin)
Photo by: Scott Camazine

Red River Hog
(Potamochoerus porcus)
Photo by : Aaron Logan
If I start a blog entry on the world's ugliest insects or spiders, I may well spend weeks finding them all! Here's one example of a beautiful beetle:

Maize Weevil
(Sitophilus zeamais )
Photo by: Anna Frodesiak
I'm sure there must also be a good-sized collection of the world's ugliest fish as well, such as the stone-fish found in Australian waters:
Stonefish
(Synanceia verrucosa)
Photo by: Sean Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment