April 23, 2010

Natty Names and Silly Songs ©

Now, who is this “Julie” I hear people talk about in legal places? Sometimes her surname “Apoynted” is mentioned. At other times, like meetings at my workplace, I've heard people state Julie's maiden name “Nohted”. Just who is this “Julie Apoynted” also known as “Julie Nohted” anyway? And have you heard about her cousin “Judy Calls”? They seem to be quite well-known women in various places, though I don't know why.


And while we're on the subject of peculiar names, I can recall as a child being charmed by a lovely old hymn that had me convinced that I was special. For some reason I believed that the song lines “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,” was referring to three angels named Shirley, Goodness and Mercy. 


As a child I found it wonderfully comforting that these three angels were going to follow me all the days of my life, keep me safe and look after me.





And on the theme of confused songs, I've been trying to figure out for some time now, what a “Rahm” is. It's one of those words I've been hearing on the radio that frankly has me a little puzzled. From what I can determine, a “Rahm” comes as part of a group, although occasionally I've heard it referred to as one of a pair.

When I first heard someone singing about a “Rahm,” I thought it was some kind of jacket or coat, but I couldn't figure out why they would need one so often. Besides, there never seemed to be any kind of mention of cold weather. While at other times, a “Rahm” seemed to be some kind of security device to keep people close, like a pair of handcuffs.

I think one of these days, I'll send off a letter to an artist and ask them what they mean when they sing lines like “Hold me in your Rahms, and never let me go.” ©

No comments:

Post a Comment