July 15, 2010

Radio Program

As I type this, I'm at the radio station where I do the breakfast show weekdays. I've started a new segment called Radio Rewind where we listen to famous and well-loved programs of yesteryear. For the last couple of weeks we've been listening to the Goon Show and one of their radio plays called "Shangrila Again." Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers were phenomenal and a little crazy. The program aired from 1951 to 1960 and established the three both in the UK and Australia as famous comedians. All three went onto fame into other areas of life: Spike Milligan as a performer, writer and so much more. Harry Secombe as an actor and singer, and Peter Sellers became famous as an actor in the Pink Panther movies.

Today I also shared a couple of their songs from their show - one became a minor hit for them I believe "The Ying Tong Song" which you can see here on YouTube. A very interesting song that I still love hearing today.

This will probably prove to be the most interesting part of my day - after a short appointment this morning, I'm heading home for a quiet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment