November 20, 2010

The Toupee Look For Women

When I was in high-school, I remember one teacher who wore a very obvious toupee. He must have bought it at least twenty years earlier because it was still very red, though the remaining hair he had on his head at that time was very, very grey.

We used to laugh and giggle about his obvious toupee and couldn't understand why anyone would deliberately continue to wear something that appeared to be a dead gopher on top of his head. Did he honestly think nobody else would notice the contrast? Or was he simply trying to delude himself?

Fortunately, this is a look I haven't seen very often since then, though the comb-over still remains a favourite with some older men.

In the last couple of years, I have seen the bad toupee look emerging in a most unexpected places: on women. It's usually a startling contrast of blondish hair on the top and very dark or black underneath.

While for men it was a matter of ignorance, for these women it's a deliberate choice. I don't understand it. It looks as subtle as a whack across the cheek with a wet fish. What is it supposed to look like? Shouldn't we be telling these women that it's rather unattractive? I simply cannot see anything redeeming in it whatsoever. 

My friend Ana on the other hand says she likes it, but to me it looks like they're wearing two completely different wigs - almost as if the blondish hair has been stuck on as an afterthought. 

I hope this particular style won't ever have a resurgence, but then I never thought we'd ever again see the bubble skirt or the Farrah Fawcett Flick. How wrong I was.

It could be worse ... we could be subjected once more to the extreme colours and styles of the 1970s. I still shudder as I recall my mother's beloved orange lounge on which she placed several furry, purple cushions. 

Alas, my mother was one of an obviously befuddled population that thought purple, lime green, and burnt orange were made for each other.  

It must have been the drug effects left over from the 60s.

No comments:

Post a Comment