May 5, 2010

What's Causing Alzheimer's ©

Recently I heard of a woman in her 30s that had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The poor thing didn't even recognise her own baby. 

In the past this illness was relegated to the older portion of the population and was very rarely heard of in anyone under 60 it seemed. So just in the last decade or so there seems to have been an increase in the number of younger people with the illness. 

My theory is that it's caused by having to remember too many passwords! 


Twenty years ago very few people had to remember passwords, except for those of us with bicycles who had those annoyingly fiddly safety chains where one had to remember the four digit number. I had a dodgy old bike that seemed to have more rust that paintwork. It had no gears except one: forward and the machine was horrible to ride up hills. Since I couldn't afford a decent bicycle, I couldn't afford a good lock either. My lock number was something like 6782½ because the last chamber had to fit between 2 and 3 to unlock. 

Since that time, my need to remember passwords has grown exponentially. Passwords are now required for debit cards, credit cards, blogs, webpage accounts, emails, social sites and auction sites.

There are passwords on my computer at work that have to be changed regularly but cannot be the same as the last 3 passwords. A password is required to access pre-purchased air, train and bus tickets, theatre tickets, movie passes and pizza orders. To purchase new books, sale items, jewellery making items, printed items, DVD sales etc, I also have to have a separate passwords for those.




I believe the reason we are having increased cases of Alzheimer's is because our minds are becoming cluttered with passwords which we have to keep separate for every single online site we regularly access and our mind is constantly have to juggle them back and forth so we don't forget them, and our brains which once just had to cope with everyday normal things, are now getting bogged down with myriad phrases and numbers.

That's my theory ... just a second, I've got too ... um, what was I talking about? ©


No comments:

Post a Comment