October 14, 2010

Interview on Radio Today

This morning I interviewed Carnsey who is one of three fellows that are taking part in "The 2000 Walk".  Dave, Carnsey & Sav are walking 2000km to raise funds for and awareness of the people who do not have have even a single bible verse translated into their own language. That is a total of 2,000 languages in the world today!

It's an enormous task, but achievable in the long-term if Bible translators can get the support needed to translate Bibles, have them printed and distributed to those in need.

Their website address where you can find out more information and to read their regular blog updates is: http://www.the2000walk.com/.

I hate to imagine the blisters on the feet of these men, not to mention the sore muscles and exhaustion. While to some degree one could physically prepare for such a challenge, what does it take mentally and emotionally to prepare and to keep motivated?
As a youngster I can remember doing a walkathon to raise funds for our school to build a pool. I was probably no more than 8 or 9 years old, and I can recall the absolute stubborness within me which refused to let me stop until I had completed my walk. I'd had two boils on my feet before I started the walk and about half-way along both boils busted, but despite the intense pain, I refused to give in. I was determined to prove to myself that I could do it.

I guess that level of stubborness would be an important trait for these three men to have on their journey, along with a good sense of humour.

Carnsey mentioned that they were setting up for camp one night as a storm hit. It was at that time they realised that someone had forgotten the tent pegs! 

It was a miserably wet trio that sat out the storm, but fortunately they were all able to laugh about it... later.

No comments:

Post a Comment