February 24, 2010

Shopping - Why Does it Feel So Good? ©

Why is it that most women I know love shopping? Is it the bright colours - are we drawn to them like moths to a flame? Perhaps it's the sounds and the smells, like an intoxicating elixir they draw us further into the store with promises of tasty outfits. Is it the thought of getting ourselves yet another shirt to fill up our bulging wardrobes? "Darn, I just haven't got enough shades of purple yet!"

Perhaps it's the sounds and the smells, like an intoxicating elixir they draw us further into the store with promises of tasty outfits.
Is it the thought of getting ourselves yet another shirt to fill up our bulging wardrobes? "Darn, I just haven't got enough shades of purple yet!"


Is it perhaps the chance to snaffle a bargain from which we somehow gain a sense of achievement? "Yahoo! I'm a champion shopper! Ok, where's my trophy?"


I went shopping with my mother recently, and despite the fact that we were both experiencing either sore knees or a sore back, we just couldn't seem to help ourselves. Off we went into the biggest shopping centre in the region intent on buying something .... anything!


I must admit though that it was perfect timing. This is the time of year in Australia where the shops have started bringing out their winter clothing. As we live in a sub-tropical region, we really don't experience temperature extremes in winter and on most winter days, we get around in shorts and a a short-sleeved shirt. Consequently, all of the summer clothing lines were on sale and they will still be perfectly useable over the next few months.


I felt quite proud of my achievement in the shopping category: 2 pairs of jeans under $8 for my 11 year old, and a pair of swimming togs for just $10 for me!


Unfortunately I still spent a further $140 on clothes for the new job I'm hoping to get soon.

Then after I managed to spend most of my money, I discovered that I had to replace two of the front tyres on my car... mmmm, I wonder if they'll exchange a perfectly good pair of swimming togs for one tyre? No? Perhaps I could threaten to model it for them unless they sell me the tyres at half price.


I can imagine it now, a bunch of men standing around, holding their heads and groaning, moaning "Please cover yourself up! Look! Here's a half-priced tyre! No better yet! Have it for free, but for goodness sake! Go and put some clothes on woman!"


I think I might be onto something here ... a perfectly legal weapon of torture ... Vicki in swimwear.


No! Even I'm too kind-hearted for that. [Sigh!] Guess I'd better find the money somehow  :o) ©

No comments:

Post a Comment