September 30, 2010

God's Got a Sense of Humour

There have been a number of occasions over the years when I have been able to enjoy God's sense of humour. A non-Christian friend of mine once asked me for an example and I couldn't recall any specific incidences, which was particularly frustrating. It's not something you think about keeping a record of. 

A couple of days ago, I  couldn't help but laugh at a little practical joke that God played on me, so I thought I would share it with you. And since I have written it down in my blog, I can always go back and find it again should anyone ask for an example of God's sense of humour.

On Tuesday I spent some time scanning in photos from one of my photo albums dating from about 18-20 years ago. It made me feel so nostalgic for friends from the past and experiences that I had in my twenties. There were people I had almost forgotten at one of my previous workplaces, and going over the photos I prayed for a number of old friends and workmates. 

One of the things I had forgotten were the two or three Easter camps I had attended with other young adults from across Queensland. One of the earlier photos from a camp was of a young woman I had always liked. Let's call her Kate Dawgard. Kate always had a great sense of humour and we got along well. But leading busy lives we really didn't keep in contact though we saw each other at common Christian gatherings on occasion. But it had been at least 18 years since I last saw Kate.

I prayed about her as I looked at the photo, wondering how she was doing, what things had happened in her life, and asked for God to bless her. 

On Wednesday evening I received a phone call from a woman asking for some information on the Christian singles group that I co-ordinate. She said her name was Kate, and the thought popped into my head "Wouldn't it be funny if it was Kate Dawgard."

After we talked for a while, I asked for her full name and address so that I could post her a calendar of our upcoming activities. She gave her address then said her name was "Kate Dawgard."

I said, "You're kidding!?"

"No," she replied.

"Do you spell that D.a.w.g.a.r.d?"

I asked her if she had lived at the town we had both lived in twenty years ago but she said, "No."

"You're not going to believe this," I said, then gave her a rundown on what had happened the day before with the photo about a woman with the same name as her, and how I'd been wondering about her.
>
"That's spooky," she said. "My last name is not very common, and I've never heard of another Kate Dawgard."

We both laughed at God's sense of humour.

For me, this came at a particularly good time. Financially I have been struggling and I had a very large bill around $2,000 come in (rates for my home) and no way of earning enough money in time to pay for it, nor could I afford to pay it off over a period of time.

The amount was so far out of my league, that I just continued saying to God, "You promised to look after me, so I'm going to leave it to you to sort out."

While I'm naturally a worrier, it was completely pointless for me to worry because I simply had no means to pay for this bill.
>
The bill had been sitting there at home for around six weeks and I was only managing to pay off the normal bills. Every now and then I'd remind God that I was holding Him to His promise.

Late last week, some money came in which was enough to pay the large bill. In addition, there was enough left over to do some maintenance on my home that I have been putting off for more than six months.

But, God has been even more faithful. Earlier this week, I received some more money which enabled me to completely pay off my credit card bill. (I have tears in my eyes as I write this.)

But astonishingly, I am yet to receive some more money as a tax refund.

Isn't God amazing?! He has blessed me abundantly for my faithfulness in Him, though my faith was small. This money will ease my financial stress considerably and enable me to get ahead with my house payments.

The last twenty-one months have been incredibly difficult - especially the last ten months that I have away from my workplace on stress leave and suffering ongoing depression. The financial stress also added to the burden. 

Since I have now been officially "fired" from my workplace (which is where some of my money came from), it feels like an enormous burden has been lifted from me. It feels like I have closed and locked the door on that part of my life, and have new hope for the future. I can look ahead positively because of God's assurance and blessings, knowing that He is in control.

The last week has been like a culmination of all that has gone before, almost like God threw me a surprise party to say, "Finished! Now let's celebrate and have a bit of fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment