February 12, 2011

Oops! Excuse my Rocket-Propelled Grocery Trolley!

Photo Author: Kallema
http://commons.wikimedia.org/
wiki/File:Shopping_trolleys.jpg
I grabbed a few groceries on the way home from dropping JD and his friends off at Youth Group and pushed the trolley to my car. Just as I reached it I accidentally dropped my car-keys on the ground and reached down for them. It only took a fraction of a second, but when I reached up to grasp the handle of the shopping trolley, it wasn't there.

Glancing up I saw the trolley slowly picking up speed as it headed towards the other side of the road. Jumping up I half ran-limped across towards it, hoping to catch it before it crashed into the concrete kerb on the other side. Fortunately there were no cars there, and I realised as I was limping/running that it was getting faster and faster and there was no way I was going to catch it. I only hoped that the trolley wouldn't fall over and crush my groceries. Alas! The trolley hit with a bang and over it went.

Oops! Crashed trolley!
Just a couple of seconds behind it I attempted to pick it up and realised that with my weak shoulder, I would be unable to lift it. Standing there for a moment deciding what to do, I figured I would take out all of the groceries and hope that it would make the trolley light enough for me to pick up, though there was a part of me that hoped someone would offer assistance.

Reaching down I readjusted the contents of one bag, and took it out, and a voice called to me from a car that had stopped in front of me.

"Do you need a hand," asked the gentlemen on the passenger side.

"That would be great," I replied with a smile, feeling like a bit of a dill.


In just a few seconds, everything was placed back into the trolley and he offered to help me put them into the car.

I said, "That's ok, I'm fine with that. It was just trying to lift up the trolley that couldn't manage."

When I made it back to the car and was placing everything inside, a man who had witnessed the entire event but had not offered to help said to me with a grin, "Runaway trolley!?"

I wished I'd been feeling witty enough to respond with something like, "I know trolley wheels have a life of their own, but I didn't realise trollies came with built-in rockets!"

No comments:

Post a Comment