February 25, 2011

Wrestling with a Kookaburra

Laughing Kookaburras
If you've been reading my blog you'll remember that we've been feeding a family of laughing kookaburras. Each afternoon they pop over for a small meal. 

Mama and Papa and their first offspring have been coming over for about 12 months now. About 6 weeks ago, Junior, their latest offspring, started coming as well.
Junior is a charming little chap who is very vocal, giving a raspy kind of call to let everyone know he's there. I often hear him trying to practice his laugh.

It took him a while to overcome his fear of us humans, but in the last couple of weeks, he's started taking a little food from our fingers, but he preferred not to interact with us if possible.


In the last few days, he's been coming over more and more. Today, Junior felt so comfortable around me that he not only grabbed the food from my fingers, but one of my fingers as well. 

The little fellow would not let go, no matter what. Holding on for grim death, Junior was determined not to lose his morsal of food. My finger was held painfully in his tight grasp, until I finally wrested it from his sharp beak.

I am now sporting a red, bruised finger. I guess there's not too many people can say they've wrestled with a kookaburra and the kookaburra won!

No comments:

Post a Comment